Individuals with high blood pressure must take precautionary measures to avoid complications. Lifestyle changes can help manage elevated blood pressure. However, if the person cannot manage the blood pressure levels, they must consult the best internal medicine specialist in Karachi. The specialist will help provide guidance regarding the treatment options and lifestyle changes to enhance the quality of life. It will help the person become productive and function adequately in every aspect of life.
The modifications that have been proven beneficial in managing the elevated blood pressure include:
- Monitor your Bodyweight: Obesity has a positive correlation with high blood pressure. People who gain weight above the required BMI are more likely to suffer from elevated blood pressure. Women should check their waistlines. If it is above thirty-five inches, they are prone to suffer from heart-related problems. Similarly, men above forty inches waistline are prone to suffer from high blood pressure and associated complications. Therefore, it is essential to maintain body weight by changing eating habits.
- Change your Dietary Habits: Individuals who notice that they suffer from constant headaches and high blood pressure must change their dietary habits. People should take organic food and avoid junk. The person should maintain a notebook and monitor the amount of food they consume every day. Additionally, potassium can overcome the effects of sodium; therefore, consuming vegetables and fruits every day can help the person manage the blood pressure levels without medications.
- Engage in Physical Activities Daily: Exercises can help lower blood pressure by about 5 to 8 mm Hg. Lack of physical activities can lead to elevated blood pressure levels, hormonal imbalance, and other kidney and lungs diseases. Additionally, physical exertion helps release the happy hormone that can lessen the anxiety and manage the BP levels.
- Monitor Your Sodium Intake: Excessive intake of sodium can lead to hypertension and other heart-related problems. Patients should monitor their sodium intake. It should not exceed 2,300 mg, or it can lead to multiple complications. Patients should read levels, as processed food has a high quantity of sodium. Additionally, avoid adding excessive salt as a seasoning to everyday food.
- Eradicate the Habit of Smoking: Cigarettes increase blood pressure after every session. People with a family history of heart disease must quit smoking. It will enhance the functioning of vital organs, and the person can live a healthier life.
- Eradicate the Habit of Alcohol Consumption: People with excessive drinking habits can have heart-related problems. If people get addicted to alcohol, it can be difficult. Therefore, it is best to eradicate drinking from life.
- Limit the Intake of Caffeine and Related Products: Caffeine can raise blood pressure levels by 10 mm Hg. However, people who consume tea or coffee every day might not suffer from any side effects. People should monitor their caffeine intake if they exhibit symptoms of hypertension.
- Monitor your Blood Pressure Levels: People who exhibit symptoms of hypertension should monitor their levels for a week and consult a specialist. The doctor will help the person understand the cause and guide regarding the most effective treatment options and lifestyle change.
- Try to Eliminate the Stressors from Life: Stress can lead to heart-related problems. People who remain anxious should start practicing gratitude and consult a therapist. The person needs to realize that they cannot control everything. They need to rationalize their situations, prioritize their overall health and make changes. Additionally, the person should try to change their thought pattern. It will help them to think in a positive way and reduce stress.
Individuals exhibiting symptoms that correlate with elevated blood pressure levels, such as constant headaches, nose bleeding, and shortness of breath, must consult a specialist at Darul Sehat Hospital. The specialist will conduct relevant tests to confirm the illness and the cause to determine the severity. The treatment options and lifestyle modifications will help enhance their physical and psychological health and avoid further complications.