Our body’s urinary system works to regulate and manage the passage of urine. In males, the reproductive organs are also a part of it. Men and women both can experience urological problems or diseases due to aging, injury, genes or even birth defects. We’ll discuss some of the most common urological problems that men may experience at different points in their lives.
1. Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia/Hypertrophy (BPH)
BPH is most common in older men. Due to aging, the prostate gland may start enlarging. It usually happens in men older than 50 years.
- Fullness in the bladder
- Difficulty starting or stopping urine
- Urge to urinate suddenly
- Dripping at the end of urination
- Alpha blockers that relax bladder neck muscles and muscle fibers in the prostate, making urination easier
- 5 alpha reductase inhibitors that shrink your prostate by treating hormonal changes which cause prostate growth
- Combination therapy is a combination of alpha blockers and alpha reductase
- Tadalafil, can help treat BPH as well as erectile dysfunction
2. Erectile Dysfunction
Erectile dysfunction causes men to struggle in maintaining an erection. Although it is common in older men, it can affect younger men too. Sometimes it is just due to stress and fatigue in lifestyle or it can also be a side effect of aging.
Its symptoms are not painful but they can cause embarrassment, humiliation, stress and affect relationships. The symptoms might include:
- Trouble getting an erection
- Trouble keeping an erection
- Reduced sexual desire
- Vacuum erection device
- Testosterone replacement
- Urethral suppository
- Penile injections
- Penile implant
Prostatitis causes inflammation and irritation in the prostate glands. The condition leads to causing difficulty in urination along with pain, fevers, pain in the abdomen or pelvic area and UTIs. Prostatitis is a serious urological problem in men therefore it is advised to visit a Urologist in karachi and seek professional help.
- Pain or burning while urinating
- Frequent urination especially at night
- Dribbling or hesitant urination
- Frequent urges need to urinate
- Cloudy urine
- Blood in the urine
- Pain in the abdomen, groin or lower back
- Pain in the perineum
- Pain or discomfort in the penis and testicles
- Painful ejaculation
- Fever, chills, muscle aches and other flu-like symptoms
- Alpha blockers
- Anti Inflammatory agents
- Prostatic massage
- Pelvic floor physical therapy
- Home remedies like hot baths, hot water bottles, heating pads and a donut shaped pillow
- Lifestyle changes such as weight loss, diet changes and reducing stress
4. Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs)
UTIs may occur due to several reasons. Having prostate inflammation, prostatitis and presence of bacteria in the urinary tract are some common reasons.
- Pain in the lower belly
- Difficulty urinating
- Cloudy urine
- Burning when urinating
- Course of antibiotics depending upon the severity of infection
- Increasing fluid intake, which may be given through IV if the condition demands
5. Testosterone Deficiency/ Infertility
Testosterone deficiency may occur due to low sperm count in men. It may be genetic in some cases. Common causes of infertility include abnormality of sperm, weak sperm, low sperm count or the inability of sperm to swim.
- Reduced sex drive
- Reduced erectile function
- Loss of body hair
- Less beard growth
- Loss of lean muscle mass
- Symptoms of depression
The treatment often prescribed for testosterone deficiency is testosterone replacement therapy, which is given in the form of injections, pellets, patches or gel.
6. Prostate Cancer
Prostate cancer develops in the prostate gland. It is a serious disease but luckily, most people get diagnosed before it spreads.
- A frequent need to urinate, especially at night
- Weak urine flow
- Pain or burning when you urinate
- Urinary incontinence
- Fecal incontinence
- Painful ejaculation and erectile dysfunction
- Blood in semen or urine
- Pain in lower back, hip or chest
- Radiation therapy
- Hormone therapy
- Immuno therapy
- Targeted therapy
Some urinary tract related problems cause minor symptoms in men that do not affect their life. But on the other hand some of the conditions may cause pain and affect male reproductive and urinary organs. So it is better to visit a Urologist in Lahore as soon as you start noticing any symptoms. If left untreated, urological problems in men can transform into big illnesses.